There is no such thing as instant results. Even Instant Pudding has to be stirred for 2 minutes then chilled. If you are looking for a fast fix on your weight loss journey, forget it. It's the little, day-to-day changes in habits that end up making a difference over time. This blog is about sharing what I do, what I eat and how I stay healthy. Maybe some of the things I do are worth copying. Jump in and share what works for you, I'd love to hear and so would others! God bless. Elaine

Saturday 31 March 2012

Versatile (oatmeal) cookie recipe

....I really should do a blog specifically about cookies....

Anyway, here is another fantastic recipe that I found a few weeks ago. I made a few modifications to the original; I reduced the salt from the 1 tsp listed to 1/2 tsp; didn't bother adding the chopped nuts (we've never been a fan of nuts in our cookies); and I left out the step about shaping the dough into rolls, freezing, then slicing them to bake (who has the time for that???). And as with any recipe I make, I never put in all the sugar that's called for. 

The recipe is plain and entirely delicious on it's own. But you can zip it up by adding your favourite spice and get a new result every time. The first time I made them, I added 2/3 tsp ginger and they were amazing. Second time I made them, I put in a bunch of cinnamon and voila, a completely different cookie. Today I'll try a hint of cloves to see what happens. So without further ado, write this down:

Company's Coming Cookies      (Good Cookin' from the Kitchens of Richmond Hill United Church, 1988, p.260)
with some currents and cloves thrown in
Mix together;
1 c margarine
1 c white sugar
1 c brown sugar
and add;
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
Combine in another bowl;
1 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 c rolled oats
any spice(s) you like

Stir the dry ingredients into the first mixture, put dough on cookie sheets and bake at 350F for 15 minutes. The cookies spread nicely and give a soft, chewy result, guaranteed to be gone in a day or two. 

Remember; everything in moderation and having ONE cookie does not constitute criminal activity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment