There is no such thing as instant results. Even Instant Pudding has to be stirred for 2 minutes then chilled. If you are looking for a fast fix on your weight loss journey, forget it. It's the little, day-to-day changes in habits that end up making a difference over time. This blog is about sharing what I do, what I eat and how I stay healthy. Maybe some of the things I do are worth copying. Jump in and share what works for you, I'd love to hear and so would others! God bless. Elaine

Monday 13 February 2012

Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies

Christian made these cookies last night.
I love oatmeal cookies and I have tried countless recipes over the years with limited results. Somehow they'd never taste as good as the ones bought at trade shows or county fairs. But if those families had great recipes to follow, surely I could find one too.

Cookies are a part of our diet and they can be part of your diet too. If you're overweight and you love cookies, they don't need to be your downfall. They are a DESSERT and if you treat them like a DESSERT, cookies will always know their place.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as a "healthy" cookie. The only cookies that exist are "dessert" cookies. If you try to convince yourself that a cookie is healthy, you won't have just one, you'll have 10 "because they're healthy". But reminding yourself that cookies are DESSERTS, you won't be tempted to overdo it. Having one with your afternoon coffee is ok. Having 5 is criminal activity and a major set-back to reaching your weight-loss goal. 

My oldest will be 9 in March and lately he's been in charge of making the cookies on the weekend. I help him read the recipe and I crack the eggs but otherwise I limit my hovering and let him do the measuring and stirring. Last night we tried yet another oatmeal cookie recipe and * wait for it * it might actually be a keeper. In other words, we'll make them again and this is major progress in the search for The Perfect Homemade Oatmeal Cookie.

Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies  (Darlene Kronschnabel, Cookie Cookbook, Wisconsin 1977, p.6)
Mix together;
1 c butter
1 1/2 c brown sugar
2 eggs
In another bowl, mix together;
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
Add flour mixture to butter mixture then stir in;
1/2 c milk
Once that is combined, add;
2 c uncooked rolled oats
2 c raisins
Stir to combine. Bake at 375F for 11 mins. 
Old-fashioned oatmeal cookies with a few missing....



No comments:

Post a Comment